Pages

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Layover in Amsterdam

On my way to the final destination, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, I had a 6 hour layover in Amsterdam. Last time I was here was about 2 years ago with a friend, but we didn't really "sight see" much. We enjoyed our time just strolling around, eating ice cream and stuff like that. I remember I really wanted to go to St. Nicholas Cathedral by Amsterdam Centraal station, but it was not opened. That became one of the reasons why I wanted to leave the airport, even though it would mean I have only, realistically speaking, a maximum of 3.5 hours to do things. If you didn't know, I love European cathedrals and churches, and I would never give up my chance of seeing yet another one.


That's the St. Nicholas Cathedral on the left


So off I go with my 12-pound backpack and purse.

Of course, the 3 hours that I am in Amsterdam had the best worst weather. It was cloudy and raining the  entire time; at times, it even poured rain. However, that didn't stop the umbrella-less me. After spending about forever trying to get Euros from the bank (note: DO NOT exchange money at the train station. I exchanged $20 and ended up with only 13.62 Euros) and buy the train ticket, I finally got to the city center. It was pouring rain, so I went into the tourist info booth right outside of the station and got myself a free map. Once the rain was slightly lighter, I speed-walked to the cathedral to find that IT WAS CLOSED. AGAIN. There goes my hopes and dreams, so then I spent the next 2 hours wandering around the side of town that I've never been. My map was in my bag basically just for added weight, because I did not touch it once. My path actually met a couple pretty nice places, such as the Rembrandt house and statue (they are actually quite far apart), the opera house, Bloemenmarkt (flower market), the Royal Palace and Dam Square. I especially spent some time at the Bloemenmarkt because tulips are pretty, and they are Dutch. With 4.22 euros left in my pocket, I also picked up some fries (without sauce.. because they cost extra money that I don't have) as my lunch.


Canals are almost always accompanied by boats, trees and houses.


Bloemenkart - would've been great for mother's day.


People in Amsterdam (and Europe) loves to have flowers outside / inside their home.


Some people actually stay in those boats.

You're looking at the Royal Palace in Dam Square.

I concluded my trip in about 2 hours because I really could not stand being in the rain and cold anymore. But it was also a good idea stopping early, because back in Schiphol Airport they actually scanned ALL electronics and even searched most passengers' bags. I made it just in time for the flight!
The beautiful Amsterdam Centraal - one of my favorite stations

Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment