Pages

Monday, March 13, 2017

How to plan weekend trips!

A few friends has asked me how I plan my trips. During my year in Germany, I spent probably half the weekends traveling and doing stuff, whether it is going to a party in the next town over, or going to a city 8 hours from where I live. As a broke exchange student back then, how did I do it all? Here's how I did it.

Step 1: Figure out exactly how much time you have
So you ask, a weekend is 2 days, what do you mean by how much time? That's true, but not if you include your Friday afternoon if you don't have class, or your Monday morning if you don't have class until the afternoon. There are weekends where I have a good 72 hours to go somewhere (don't question me, question the German school system).

Step 2: Figure out where to go
Now that you know how much time you have, you can plan accordingly. With those 72-hour weekends, you can go somewhere a little further, or somewhere close that you really want to explore inside-out, or maybe a festival that you've had your eye on for months. Have a list of possible destinations.

Step 3: Booking stuff
For weekend trips, I don't recommend booking tickets / rooms on the go. That's because you only have 2-3 days to explore, you may very well loss that precious time running around clueless. With your list of destination in hand, use the almighty Internet to find the best deals on buses, trains, hostels and homestays. Any logical people would choose to go somewhere that's the cheapest, but you do you.

Step 4: Plan your itinerary 

By that, I don't mean to have something like "8am - Healthy breakfast at hostel; 8:32am - take bus 1 to location x entrance a". That's just way too much detail. Have a few places that you want to visit each day, plan an approximate route, and just go wander around! You never know what you could find.

Step 5: Go and have fun
Pack up your backpack (please don't take anything more than a backpack for a weekend trip) and go!!!


Day trip to Brussels


Day-and-a-half trip to Paris


PS: I dropped my old laptop so life has been a mess. Pardon me for the lack of (travel-related) posts because like half of my pictures are not backed-up :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment